This is a repost, first seen on Resurgence, but are from the a book Seeing With New Eyes by David Powlison.
How to identify your idols
1. What do I worry about most?
2. What, if I failed or lost it, would cause me to feel that I did not even want to live?
3. What do I use to comfort myself when things go bad or get difficult?
4. What do I do to cope? What are my release valves? What do I do to feel better?
5. What preoccupies me? What do I daydream about?
6. What makes me feel the most self-worth? Of what am I the proudest? For what do I want to be known?
7. What do I lead with in conversations?
8. Early on what do I want to make sure that people know about me?
9. What prayer, unanswered, would make me seriously think about turning away from God?
10. What do I really want and expect out of life? What would really make me happy?
11. What is my hope for the future?
(Also posted by Jared Wilson)
For other good self-diagnostic questions see
Self-evaluation in silence and
Evaluating and Inspecting our Lives so we can Thrive