Rather than self-focused New Year’s resolutions, this passage challenges us to focus on what will maintain and foster unity in the Body.
1. The 5 virtues listed are to result in “putting up with others” and “forgiving others”? What are the issues that cause you to struggle with others? When do you find it hard to forgive?
2. How does love truly bind together all the virtues listed in 3:12? How does that work?
3. When or how have you unnecessarily disrupted the peace of Christ in His body? What could you have done differently?
4. This passage challenge us to submit to the demands of the Christ’s message and let it become so deeply implanted within us as that it takes control all our thinking. How do you foster the indwelling of the Word of Christ?
5. The repetition of the theme of “thanksgiving” in this section reminds us that those who have received grace should breathe grace out to others. Are you a naturally grateful and thankful person? What would help you be more “naturally” thankful?
6. Do you do everything in the name of Christ? What would change in your life if you did?
What would it look like if all believers in your small group or at your church practiced this verse? What would be different?