In Colossians 3:1-4 Paul challenged us to develop a heavenly mindset that starts with starts with an understanding of our position in Christ.
As he develops his instruction, in Colossians 3:5-11 Paul helps us see the kinds of attitudes and behaviors that are out of step with our new identity.Â The next section with add the positive side, what we are to “add.”
One caution, a wise man once encouraged me that some topics are best not discussed in mixed gender groups. I will add a modification to that advice, as you discuss the issues in this section, I would advise you to “be wise” and don’t get too specific in a mixed gender group as to the individual personal weaknesses of groups members. Authenticity is important but transparency may cause others to think too long (fantasies) or in inappropriate ways.
1. How different should Christians be? (In our speech, dress, activities, what we watch, where we go, etc.) How do you know if you have become too similar (undistinguishable)?
2. How can men help men and women help women in the area of sexual purity?
3. How do you maintain purity in an increasingly perverse society?
4. Are you prone to clam up and simmer (wrath) or to blow up and spew (anger)? Have you found practical help in dealing with this?
5. Is there a prevailing lie in your life, either one that you are believing or that you are perpetuating? What does God think about that?
6. How does “setting your mind on things above” displace these kinds of sin?